Kellogg Sales Institute
Craig Wortmann is the Founder and Academic Director of the Kellogg Sales Institute (KSI). The Institute defines sales as “helping people make progress in their lives” and thus everything we do is in the service of helping people become both magnetic and unstoppable in their pursuit of progress…for themselves and for everyone they come across.
Craig is a Clinical Professor of Marketing and his teaching covers a wide range of topics based on his experiences as a professional salesperson, CEO, founder, entrepreneur and investor. In all of his teaching - from massive online courses to MBA and Executive MBA classrooms - Craig attempts to create immersive experiences that help people develop into magnetic leaders who drive predictably consistent high growth, for themselves and their organizations. Craig joined the Kellogg faculty in 2017 after almost a decade teaching at Chicago Booth.
Craig's teaching topics include:
- Getting Good At Getting Great (at anything)
- Building Strong, Positive and Powerful Sales Cultures
- Developing Personal & Professional Skill and Discipline
- Entrepreneurial Selling
- Learning By Doing
- Sales Leadership
- Presenting With Panache
- Life Hacks
- Practice Makes Permanent
- Generating Positive Energy
Craig Wortmann is a three-time entrepreneur and CEO, beginning with his first software company in 2000. After selling that firm in 2008, Craig conducted a successful turnaround of a struggling digital marketing agency, selling it to a larger French company only 11 months after joining as its CEO.
Sales Engine, Inc.
In 2009, Craig founded his current company, Sales Engine, Inc. on the core belief that sales is the engine of any business. Now in our 13th year, Craig and his team consult to the world’s largest and most successful companies, as well as some of the world’s fastest-growing entrepreneurial companies. His work centers around his teaching, tool-building and coaching.
Craig currently serves as an Operating Partner at Pritzker Group Venture Capital. As Operating Partner, Craig helps the portfolio CEOs and CROs build and tune their sales engines to maximize growth.
Craig is also an active angel investor, solely focused on companies that help people develop healthy habits and empower people to be their best. His portfolio currently includes sleep and food companies, as well as those creating the next generation of female leaders.
Craig is the author of What’s Your Story? a book that helps people tell the right story at the right time for the right reasons. In his book, Craig developed a tool called the Story Matrix℠, designed to help people capture, distill and tell their stories.
Craig teaches four MBA and Executive MBA courses that he designed and built both at Chicago Booth and Kellogg, all of which are among the most in-demand courses at each school, requiring additional faculty to be brought in to teach them. He has also designed and built two massive online courses that continue to reach tens of thousands of students all over the world. Craig’s courses include:
- Entrepreneurial Selling (MBA) - This 10-week course helps entrepreneurs survive and thrive in the “wonderful chaos” from time-zero to break even by acquiring their first critical customers.
- Selling Yourself & Your Ideas (MBA & Executive MBA) - This 10-week course helps students develop a “situational awareness” of the communication skills and disciplines they need to show up, stand out and break through in every room they enter.
- Phase 0 (Executive MBA) - This 4.5-day “sprint” course demystifies the fuzzy front end of starting businesses. Craig and his teaching partner, Professor David Schonthal, guide their students through an intense, 4.5-day journey where they design and launch a business in one week
- Getting Good at Getting Great (Executive MBA) - This 2.5-day course helps leaders scale themselves and their businesses by developing the knowledge, skill, discipline and habits of elite performers. Craig and his teaching partner, Professor Andrew Sykes, take their students on a journey helping them get good at getting great
- Kellogg Mastering Sales: A Toolkit for Success (Kellogg Online Emeritus Course) - Craig’s Mastering Sales course quickly became the highest-rated offering by Emeritus, a platform that offers curriculum from a wide breadth of elite institutions including MIT, Wharton, Columbia and, of course, Kellogg. Mastering Sales: A Toolkit for Success debuted at the end of 2019 and is a 10-week, certificate-earning online course led by Program Leaders trained by Craig. Throughout the online experience, participants build a 32-Tool Sales Toolkit to tackle any challenge they face
- Kellogg Sales School: Professional Certification in Sales (Kellogg Online Emeritus Course) - After helping some of the world’s most successful companies build their own “sales schools,” Craig designed and launched “Kellogg Sales School” as a way for people who are new to sales - or embarking on a career transition - to get great at sales through this seven month sales school experience
In addition to his teaching, Craig has created more than 100 Sales Tools, ranging from editable PDFs to worksheets, templates, and hundreds of videos. Just as a master carpenter or artist has a customized set of tools, we believe that every salesperson, leader and entrepreneur must be equipped with the tools they need to perform in any situation.
From our “Story Matrix” that helps people tell the right story at the right time for the right reasons, to the simplest of tools like a well-designed voicemail, Craig and his team are tool-builders. Just a few of the tools in this large Sales Toolkit include:
- The Art of the Sales Conversation
- Story Matrix
- What’s Your Story: Story Canvas
- Prospecting Script
- Breakthrough Email Blueprint
- Objections Matrix
- Visual Impact
- Team Selling for Impact
- Teach It Forward
- Win/Loss Debrief
- Client Delight Index
- Quarterly Dashboard
- Weekly One-on-One
Awards & Recognition
Craig is an award-winning course designer and professor, having won multiple teaching awards at two of the top 10 business schools in the world; Chicago Booth and now Kellogg.
- In 2008, his Entrepreneurial Selling MBA course was named by Inc. Magazine as one of the top ten courses in the United States
- In 2012, Craig was awarded the “Faculty Excellence” Award given by the Chicago Booth students to the one professor who had the most impact on them
- In 2019, Craig was named on Chicago Inno’s “50 on Fire” list for his contributions as a thought leader in entrepreneurship and innovation in the Chicago Tech community
- Crain’s named Craig to the “Crain’s Tech 50” list in 2019
- Since joining the Kellogg family, Craig has won the “Kellogg Executive MBA Outstanding Teaching Award” consecutively in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
- In 2020, Kellogg awarded Craig the “Sydney J. Levy Teaching Award” for teaching excellence
- And in our virtual world, Kellogg’s students have often been quoted as saying; “Craig Wortmann is the gold standard in virtual learning”
Updated September 2022