International applicant requirements
We’re proud to receive applications from candidates in more than 90 countries. If you’re an international candidate, we ask that you review the following before submitting your application.
- A college-level education equivalent to a four-year baccalaureate degree from the United States is required
- A degree from certain international three-year undergraduate programs (e.g., institutions in India, United Kingdom) may be acceptable
- International candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by the Round 1 or Round 2 deadline
- The name on your application must match the name on your passport. Any discrepancy will delay our ability to process the I-20 form, which is required to obtain a visa
Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and Duolingo (DET)
For all application cycles, our requirements are listed below:
All candidates who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents must send a valid English proficiency test score to Kellogg. The score results from both tests are valid for two years. A score from either TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or DET will fill this requirement.
- To prevent processing delays, we strongly recommend that you upload your official score reports (if available) to the application
Exemptions may be granted if one of the following criteria is met:
- The applicant completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at a college or university in the United States
- The applicant completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at a college or university where English was the ONLY language of instruction
If you qualify for this exemption, you must provide the exact URL or documentation from your institution that states English was the only language of instruction. If you graduated from an Indian institution that does not explicitly state this, please provide the URL for the homepage of the school’s website.
The code for uploading TOEFL iBT scores to the Kellogg Full-Time MBA Program is 1546. It is not necessary to have a department code, but if you are required to enter a code you may use the following code: "99." Test takers submitting IELTS or DET scores select the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University as a score recipient rather than entering a specific code.
The Kellogg MBA is STEM-designated
Kellogg's Full-Time MBA, Evening/Weekend MBA and MSMS programs are STEM-designated degree programs. Therefore, Kellogg graduates on F1 student visas and approved F-1 12-month post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) may be eligible to apply for the F-1 24-month STEM-OPT extension for possibly up to three years of U.S. work authorization before requiring employer sponsorship for employment-based nonimmigrant or immigrant visas. For more information on eligibility and process, please visit the Northwestern Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISS).