Start of Main Content

Applying for your visa

Find answers to all of your questions about the visa application process.

All exchange students receive an email regarding the visa application process 3-5 months prior to the start of their exchange term.

All exchange students will come to Kellogg on a J-1 visa. Students will apply by filling out a DS-2019 request. If a student’s form is complete, it will take 10 days to process, and the completed DS-2019 request will be express mailed (via FedEx) to the address the student indicated in the registration form.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I come in on a different type of visa?

No, a J-1 visa is the only visa that Kellogg is able to sponsor for exchange students as it is intended for educational exchange.

Can I come to the U.S. early or stay late?

Yes, you have a 30-day grace period preceding and following the dates of your exchange program. Enjoy! Note that you cannot leave and re-enter the U.S. in the 30 days following your exchange program, but you are free to travel around the U.S.

When can I expect my visa paperwork?

If we have received all of your paperwork by the deadline, you can expect to receive your paperwork in 2–3 weeks from the deadline.

Where can I apply for my visa? I am in another country for school, internship, vacation, etc.

You should check with the Embassy or Consulate in question personally. You may be directed to the Embassy in the country you hold citizenship or permanent residence.

I am already in the U.S. Will I really need to leave and re-enter on my J-1 visa?

Yes. If you are currently in the U.S., you will need to leave to apply for the J-1 visa, and you will absolutely need to leave before the beginning of your program to re-enter the country using your J-1 visa.

Who to contact for additional questions

If you have additional questions regarding your visa requirements, please contact Adam Blough, Kellogg's international student advisor.