Sophomores and Juniors who have completed the prerequisite requirements are welcome to apply to begin in Spring quarter. You must choose to apply to either the Financial Economics or Managerial Analytics certificates. You must decide which certificate you want to pursue prior to being admitted to the program.
2023-2024 Application Information
- November 2023: Application Opens
- January 7, 2024: Application Due
- January 12, 2024: Recommendations Due
- February 2024: Decisions Released
- Spring 2024: First Kellogg Certificate Course – FE 310: Principles of Finance
As part of the application, you will need to submit the following:
- Corequisite course plan: This will detail which corequisites you plan to take and when you plan to take them. Be sure to review when the courses are offered when developing your plan.
- Faculty letter of recommendation: You should select a recommender who can knows you well and can speak to your ability to succeed in the Kellogg Certificate program. In the application, you will be asked to share the name and email address of your recommender. The application system will email your recommender a link to the recommendation form.
- Two essay questions
- Please upload a short essay (300-400 words) describing a current business issue in the news that interests you and how participating in the Kellogg Certificate Program for Undergraduates may help you better understand the issue.
- Kellogg values having a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives in the classroom. How do you believe your personal and academic experiences will contribute to the classroom diversity and enrich the Kellogg Certificate community? (200-250 words)
- One-page resume
Prerequisites and corequisites
To be eligible for the Kellogg Certificate Program, you must complete a series of prerequisite and corequisite courses. Most of these courses are offered in both the Weinberg School of Arts and Sciences and the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science. Prospective students may take the prerequisite and corequisite courses in either or both schools.
No major changes have been made to the prerequisites and corequisites this year. However, we have clarified that both the Data Science Major and Minor course sequences (STAT 301-1,2,3 and STAT 303-1,2,3) will count towards the Econometrics/Statistics Corequisite. Additionally, MATH 235-0/STAT 228-0 (Series and Multiple Integrals) will not be accepted in place of MATH 230-2 (or equivalent). This change is particularly relevant to students pursuing a Data Science major.
Prerequisite and corequisite requirements
Students interested in the Financial Economics or Managerial Analytics Certificate must take upper-level prerequisite and corequisite courses in five subject areas:
Read detailed prerequisite and corequisite course options. You can also view them on the Financial Economics and Managerial Analytics pages.
Many of the Certificate Program prerequisites have prerequisites of their own, so advanced planning is important. For more information, consult the Northwestern Undergraduate Catalog, or contact the appropriate academic department.
Additionally, some of the program corequisites are prerequisites for specific Certificate Program courses. You should familiarize yourself with the course prerequisites, which can be found on the FE and MA Prerequisite and Corequisite links.
Contact us about the Certificate Program for undergraduate students
Kellogg School of Management
Program Director, Certificate Program for Undergraduates
Kellogg School of Management
555 Clark Street, Lower Level
Evanston, IL 60208-2800