The Office of Work/Life Resources
through Northwestern’s Human Resources department provides many resources for Northwestern parents as they locate quality, affordable childcare. Many of these resources are available to graduate students. When you contact Northwestern staff about these services, you should identify yourself as a PhD student at Kellogg. MBA students do not qualify.
There are tips for finding childcare
as well as childcare centers, community childcare resources, in-home care resources, preschools, and additional resources available through the Childcare website
. There are also references to fee assistance programs
and “Mothers’ rooms”
located on campus, so mothers can nurse in private.
Kellogg students often make use of the McGaw YMCA program
. Financial assistance may be provided to graduate students for the YMCA program. Typically those allocations are exhausted by January for the coming fall quarter. However, there is a wait list, so you could apply for funding in case some families drop out of the program. Some slots may still be available in the McGaw YMCA program
. Please call the YMCA for more details at 847-475-8580 or visit their website.
Action for Children
is another resource. While this organization is for benefits-eligible Northwestern faculty and staff, for a fee, PhD students could use their services for child care referrals and childcare solutions. Call 773-356-8135 to reach a designated Northwestern representative. The consultation services include the following:
- Parent consultations about the variety of state-licensed child care options available.
- Child care provider referrals that are customized to the search criteria provided by the parent.
- Up-to-date information on more than 4,500 child care centers, family childcare homes, nanny agencies, sick care, camps and before and after school programs in Cook County and the surrounding area.
- Printed resource materials to help parents throughout their childcare search, including tips for interviewing and selecting a quality provider.
- Information about financial assistance, including state subsidy programs and providers that offer sliding scale fee programs.