• close

Off-Campus Event Policies

The policies that apply to all off-campus events are listed below. If you have any questions or would like clarification on any of these policies, please reach out to the Club Coordinator at groupeventsupport@kellogg.northwestern.edu, (847) 467-1096, or in the Student Experience Center (Suite 1391).


1. Pre-approval is required for all off-campus events.

You can request event pre-approval by submitting an event pre-approval form at least 2 weeks in advance of your event date (and at least 3 weeks in advance if your event requires any contracts).

2. Event contract policy (service providers and venues)

If you plan on hiring any service provider for your event - a DJ, photographer, band, rental company, etc. - you must work with the Office of Student Life to obtain a signed contract for their service. Details on this process are located here, which you must begin at least 3 weeks in advance of your event. Please note that students are not permitted to sign contracts, and are not permitted to pay service providers themselves; the Club Coordinator will help you arrange for payment by University check. This process applies without exception - whether the service provider is an individual or a business entity, and whether or not they provide you with their own contract.

If your venue requires an event contract, the same process and policies apply, and are available here.

3. Paying venues and vendors by your event date is your responsibility.

Unless you have specifically made other arrangements with your vendor or venue, it is your responsibility to arrange for payment by the date of your event. Instructions to pay by University check are available here; individual reimbursement is your other option, unless the vendor in question is a service provider or has issued a contract for the event charges.

4. Club events are not permitted at student residences; events at other private residences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.


Clubs are not permitted to host events in students' apartments, condos, or houses.

Events in the common areas of these buildings (including McManus Lounge) will be considered in advance, on a case-by-case basis, by submitting an event pre-approval form. If approved, please remember that any common area rental form with a signature line is considered a contract; these forms must be signed by our University signatory, with any applicable rental fees paid via University check.

Other private residences are strongly discouraged as event venues, but will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To request consideration, submit a pre-approval form well in advance of your proposed event (at least 3 weeks in advance if a contract will be required).

5. BYOB events are not permitted.


If alcohol will be present at a club event, it must be served by licensed bartenders who have provided specific documentation to the University. For that reason, BYOB events are not permitted; instead, we have a list of local pre-contracted venues where you can host events with alcohol.

6. Food is required at any event where alcohol is served.

If alcohol will be served at your event, food must also be provided by the organizers. You're not required to buy every attendee a full meal, but something to eat must be made available for the duration of the event.

7. The maximum duration for events where alcohol is served is 5 hours.


8. If alcohol is incorporated into a ticket price, you must include a dry ticket option.

This dry ticket option must be offered for a lesser price than the wet ticket.