SUMMER STUDENT DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
A Summer Student Director (SD) is a staff member of University Residential Services and the Kellogg School of Management. Principal SD duties involve three areas of responsibility: Community Development, Administrative, and Departmental.
These areas of responsibility cited below indicate primary duties. These are cited as examples only and are not an all-inclusive list of duties.
Community Development Responsibilities
The SD team (two SDs) is expected to create a sense of community amongst the residents of McManus. Through appropriate training, continued interaction, and successful programming, the SD team will be expected to be familiar with the building's residents and their interests and needs. The SD will be responsible for creating social, cultural, educational, recreational, and wellness opportunities for residents of McManus and the larger graduate student community.
Specifically, the SD will perform the following tasks:
- Propose, advertise, facilitate and evaluate building-wide social programs throughout the summer.
- Participate in all staff training programs.
- Publicize campus events through postings on McManus Facebook, CampusGroups, banners, fliers, etc.
- Work as a team with the other SD and University staff to plan and implement social/thematic programs during the summer. There should be two events including educational, social, and wellness programs.
- Support other SD-run programs through attendance at events.
- Other duties as assigned.
As liaison between the University Residential Services office and the residents, the SD team will regularly meet with the McManus community, communicate concerns and policies, and offer suggestions for improving the residential community. The SD is expected to attend to building safety and security, report problems and resident concerns, and be available and visible to the resident population.
To that end, the SD will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Perform on-call building duty on a rotating basis. While on duty, carry a cell phone at all times and be within a 15-minute response time to McManus in order to tend to the needs of residents. Maintain contact with the Resident Director (RD) on Duty throughout duty cycle.
- Complete a daily walk-through of the public areas of the building and monitor the following: equipment repairs that are needed in the laundry, vending, student office, garage, stairwells, basement, storage, and play area. Monitor safety standards by reporting any concerns related to hallway, outdoor, stairwell, and basement lighting. Report any maintenance/security issue in the daily log and file appropriate service requests. Verify front desk staff is present and assisting residents.
- Perform on-call duties as needed when requested by residents. Assist University personnel, fire department and police with emergencies and crises within the building. Inform supervisors of incident(s) that may need follow-up during the business day by thoroughly documenting the incident and maintaining confidentiality.
- Meet regularly with the Housing Coordinator (HC) and Resident Director (RD) to plan, coordinate efforts, and discuss issues.
- Address observable inappropriate conduct on the part of residents (noise, safety issues, etc.). Utilize support services of the RD, HC, and the University Police, as necessary. Document all policy violations so appropriate staff may perform the necessary follow-up.
- The SD is responsible for these collateral projects at the discretion of the HC and RD:
- Write and disseminate announcements and important notifications.
- Manage lounge, room and kitchen reservations for residents seeking to use building resources.
- Assist with off-hours mail/package distribution, lockouts and key replacements.
- Other duties as assigned.
The SD team is part of a group of professional and para-professional staff who are responsible for the fair, efficient, and convenient delivery of service to residents at McManus. The SD team is expected to complete assigned projects in a timely and accurate manner and to assist other team members as needed. The SD team will provide support and awareness to the entire on-campus University Residential Services population.
To that end, the SD will be expected to complete the following tasks:
- Participate in staff training prior to the start of Summer Quarter (mid to late June).
- Assist with check-in and check-out by providing duty coverage in the office.
- Work cooperatively and productively with all members of the University community by maintaining good working relationships with all related University staff.
- Accept full responsibility for use of the "master key" to the residence hall and to use the key only when authorized to do so.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions and Compensation:
The SD is expected to be able to manage time, stress, and projects reasonably well. Balancing academic and work deadlines is crucial for a successful experience. Please utilize the RD and HC if you need support or assistance. The SD must be in good academic standing with Kellogg if a student.
- The SD must be a student enrolled at Kellogg or the partner of a McManus resident.
- The SD must know, support and abide by the University policies and regulations.
- The SD must maintain a high level of accessibility and availability for residents and staff members.
- Employment is based on satisfactory performance.
- The period of employment for SD runs from June 19, 2014 - August 22, 2014 (tentative).
- The SD will receive a cost-free McManus one bedroom apartment. He/she must reside in an apartment in McManus to be a member of the SD team.