Research Computing >> Training & Publications
TRAINING AND KELLOGG REFERENCE DOCUMENTS
Class / Workshop resources
- Using NU Library resources (April 2011)
- Using the Excel Solver Add-in (PDF) and solver-tutorial.xlsx (Excel spreadsheet)
- Doing Behavioral Research at Kellogg (September 26, 2006)
- New faculty orientation 2011: Research Support @ Kellogg (October 12, 2011)
- New Ph.D. student computing orientation 2011 (September 16, 2011):
- Research Computing Slides (September 16, 2011)
- Introduction to SPSS (Revised: January 14, 2005). Document used in TEK SPSS session.
- Basic Unix commands, editing files, and transfering files (Revised: January 21, 2008)
- Data retrieval from CRSP and Compustat using Wharton's WRDS server. Focuses on data extraction using SAS (Revised: February 8, 2007)
- SAS Programming Skills (Revised: June 18, 2004)
- Introduction to TAQ and ISSM, Slides for Liquidity and Asset Pricing, FINC 520 (May 28, 2004)
- LATEX with Tears. Presentation slides by Robert McDonald (August 20, 2001)
- Accessing data through Wharton Research Data Services' web interface (Updated: April 8, 2004)
- Introduction to SAS on WRDS (Updated: February 8, 2012)
- Understanding PROC SQL (February 16, 2002)
- Parallel Computing (February 8, 2012)
- Example: solving an RBC model on a multi-core PC and a GPU Slides (February 8, 2012)
Business research guides (NU library)
Other documents prepared by Research Computing
Training opportunities in research methods
- ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods: Each summer, ICPSR offers a series of courses and seminars in research design, statistics, data analysis, and social methodology. Generally, the emphasis is focused on those courses and subjects that are not normally integral parts of the curricula of ICPSR member institutions. Among the subjects covered are: Structural equations (Lisrel) models, scaling and dimensional models, hierarchical linear models, spatial data analysis, social network analysis, longitudinal, multistrata, and multilevel models for categorical data, etc. Since Northwestern University is a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), students get a significant discount in tuition (students remain registered at Northwestern and pay only the regular fees charged while in residence at Northwestern).
- IU's Institute for Social Research offers summer workshops on "Categorical Data Analysis: Introduction to Regression Models for Discrete Outcomes" and "Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis".
- Essex Summer School in Social Science Data Analysis and Collection programme, a program similar to ICPSR's but with more depth in some topics such as time series analysis and qualitative research. This summer program is hosted by the European Centre for Analysis in the Social Sciences at the University of Essex.
- Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques at the Institute for Social Research (University of Michigan): Offers courses in design and sampling, measurement, collection and analsys of survey data.
- Workshops in experimental methodology at the Research Center for Group Dynamics (University of Michigan): Offers courses in diary methods, analysis of dyad and group data, and mediation models.