Research Computing >> Software >> Matlab >> Matlab R13 installation
MATLAB R13 FOR WINDOWS INSTALLATION GUIDE
- Kellogg has both a concurrent license for office computers and a group license for laptops. The concurrent license requires computers to be connected to the NU network and has more toolboxes than the group license does.
- The license codes are ONLY for NU faculty and staff involved in research computing.
- The fee is $50.00 per computer, per year for the academic year 2003/2004. The computer must be university-owned.
- If you decide to buy a copy, please e-mail Research Computing and provide your CUFS number. You will then be added to the group, and the license file will be emailed to you.
- 128 MB RAM minimum (256 MB is strongly recommended).
- At least 650 MB of available hard disk space if all the toolboxes and documentation are to be installed.
- Windows98/NT(with SP5 and up)/2000/XP
Do not install over a previous version even if this is an upgrade. You may uninstall the old version after you have successfully installed the new one. You need specify the destination directory during the installation.
The installation should be done over the network as described below. For faculty only, if you need install a copy on a university-owned computer at home, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check out the CD media.
- Create a directory to install MATLAB into.
- Save the license file emailed to you in the directory and make it available to you during the installation. The concurrent license file contains server information and a string of keys while the group license file contains a string of keys only.
- Close all open applications including anti-virus programs
- Click Start -> Run, type "\\kis-rc\matlab_r13" (without quotes), and click OK.
- Double-click on setup.exe. The installer will start and guide you through the installation
- Be ready to paste the PLP (from the file license.dat, but remove the leading # sign) when the installer asks for it.
- If this is a concurrent license install, the installer will ask for the location of license.dat file.
- You may choose to install both program and documentation, or the program only. If you change your mind, you can always install documentation later.
- If you have chosen to install both program and documentation, after program is installed, a window will pop up asking for the documentation folder. Type in "\\kis-rc\matlab_r13\matlab_doc" (without quotes) and click OK.
- Reboot the machine to finish the installation.
Configuration for firewall (concurrent license only)
Windows XP built-in firewall appears to require no additional configuration after installation. If you have another firewall installed and cannot connect to license server, please try the following:
Your firewall must permit access to TWO TCP ports:
- matlab.it.northwestern.edu 27000 (from your client to license server)
- matlab.it.northwestern.edu 1970 (back to your client)
- The IP address of matlab.it.northwestern.edu is 22.214.171.124
Installation of NAG Toolbox
Mathworks does not support NAG beginning since release 12 of MATLAB. Nevertheless, NUIT has bought a separate license from NAG directly. To install NAG toolbox for MATLAB, first you need to install MATLAB. Then go to "\\kis-rc\matlab_r13" and copy NAGFWL.ZIP file to a local directory or unzip it directly into a folder on the local machine. After unzip the file, run setup.exe to install the product, preferably to the subdirectory where all the toolboxes were installed. This is an unlicensed release and it does not require any license file. Then start up Matlab, and choose the menu File, Set Path, and set the paths to the NAG libraries and documentation as instructed by the installer.
- The current license expires on October 1, 2004.
- This new release has fixed some bugs and has new
features and toolboxes. For details, see
If you have any problems on this, please send
email to email@example.com.