News from Jacobs
PEVC reaches critical mass
The Kellogg PEVC community has been growing steadily over the years. Kellogg Admissions has experienced an increased number of applications from those in the PEVC community, in addition to a higher acceptance yield from this population subset. In the fall of 2011, 38 of Kellogg’s incoming students had prior PEVC experience. Also, 32 students from the Class of 2011 received full-time PEVC positions after graduation. The PEVC Club now serves 900 students, and student participation in PE & VC experiential learning labs has grown by over 55% since 2008.
PEVC outside the classroom
The PEVC Club has been very active this year in hosting many opportunities for students to learn about the PEVC industry and to hear from industry practitioners. We would like to extend a special thank you to our panelists at last month’s Young Alumni in Private Equity panel: Doug Potters of CIVC Partners and Derek Ferguson of Maxim Partners. An additional round of thanks goes to club members who helped lead this fall’s PEVC Bootcamp. The bootcamp was a half-day session designed to educate current students on the industry. We had more than 100 participants, the most we’ve ever had.
PEVC treks in 2011-2012
Kellogg students interested in exploring careers in private equity and venture capital are able to take advantage of treks to visit industry firms in various cities. Students on the San Francisco private equity trek, led by Ryan Bunn ‘13, visited with H.I.G. Capital, The Riverside Company, Genstar Capital and TSG Consumer Partners. Private equity treks to New York, Boston and Chicago and venture capital treks to San Francisco, Boston, New York and Chicago are scheduled to go out between December and February.
Exciting outlook for PEVC Club at Kellogg
The Kellogg Private Equity and Venture Capital Club is the school’s club for students interested in private equity and venture capital. Learn more about the club’s mission and plans for the upcoming year.
Kellogg's PEVC Resume Books Available
Alumni that would like to receive a resume book of current Kellogg students applying for Private Equity and Venture Capital positions may contact Nicolas Mundi at firstname.lastname@example.org
KAPE continues to serve PEVC alumni, forms New York chapter
I2A Fund co-founder Kapil Chaudhary ’07 leverages Kellogg network
The Kellogg Alumni in Private Equity (KAPE) has wrapped up another successful year. KAPE was founded in 2009 with the mission to promote idea generation and stronger ties among alumni active in private equity investing. We are pleased to report that KAPE’s global membership base has grown to more than 1,300 alumni since inception. To learn more about KAPE’s growth, strategy and events, including the formation of a New York chapter, click here.
to launch seed stage venture capital fund
Read the full article.
Kellogg 2012 PEVC Conference
Feb. 15, 2012, University Club of Chicago
The Kellogg School of Management is proud to present the 13th Private Equity and Venture Capital Conference, “Finding Growth in the Next Generation.” Each year, the conference brings together some of the biggest names and brightest minds in the fields of private equity and venture capital to discuss the opportunities and challenges facing the industry. This year’s conference will provide a forum for private equity investors, venture capitalists, entrepreneurs and LPs to discuss how the next generation of funds will find growth and ultimately drive returns for investors. Attendees will have the opportunity to gain insights, pose questions and network with leading investment professionals representing a diverse group of firms, markets and geographies.
Private Equity Keynote: Bon French ’76, CEO of Adams Street Partners
Venture Capital Keynote: Peter Barris, Managing General Partner of New Enterprise Associates.
Private Equity Panel Topics
- The Broadening Scope of Opportunistic PE Funds and Their Competitors
- Fundraising in the New Private Equity Environment
- Operational Expertise: Adding Value Beyond the Transaction
Venture Capital Panel Topics
- The Future of Mobile Technology: Check-Ins and Mobile Payments
- Clean Technology Opportunities: Profitability, Recent Deals and Case Studies
- The Role of Socially Responsible Investing
For more information, please contact Kellogg PEVC Conference Chair, Brett Mitchell ’12 at email@example.com
Want to get involved?
- Give a Presentation. The PEVC Club seeks to host industry speakers on topics such as investment case studies or industry trends. Please contact Matt Monson ’13 at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Host a Buyout or Venture Lab student. The increase in PE & VC experiential learning lab opportunities has been a strong contributor to Kellogg’s growth in the PEVC community. If you are interested in hosting an unpaid / for-credit student for one to two days a week, contact Professor David Stowell at email@example.com.
- Host a PEVC trek or student event. Want to host students at an upcoming PE or VC trek in your city? Would you like to help organize a joint Kellogg alumni and student event? Contact Matt Monson ’13 at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mentor a current student. Help a current student navigate the PEVC industry. Contact Matt Monson ’13 at email@example.com
- Be a guest lecturer. Visit one of Kellogg’s PEVC courses. Courses for Winter 2012 are:
- The Human Element in Private Equity - ENTR 926
- Private Equity and Venture Capital - FINC 445
- Case Studies in Venture Investment - FINC 471
- Major Projects and Project Finance in Emerging Markets - FINC 918
- Wall Street, Hedge Funds and Private Equity - FINC 931
- Managing in a Professional Services Firm - MORS 934
- Frameworks to Insights: Problem Solving in Fast Forward - MORS 950
Find Class of 2011 PEVC alumni in your city
Please click here to see a complete listing of Kellogg students from the class of 2011 accepting PEVC jobs by city.
Highlights from PEVC faculty and curriculum
A number of Kellogg professors have provided strong support to the PEVC Club and the Heizer Center. We would like to recognize these professors and highlight the courses they are currently teaching at Kellogg, shown below.
- Finance II
- Managerial Finance II
- Financial Strategy and Tax Planning
- Strategic Financial Management
- Case Studies in Venture Investment
- Venture Lab (V-Lab)
- Investment Banking
- Wall Street, Hedge Funds and Private Equity
- Buyout Lab
- Investment Banking Recruiting Prep
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Topics in Finance
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Empirical Corporate Finance
PEVC Club Leadership
Michael Sexton, Co-Chair
Benjamin Stolbach, Co-Chair
Adam Weinberger, PE Director
Fahad Siddiqui, PE Director
Keith Schreer, VC Director
Michael McLean, VC Director
Brett Mitchell, Alumni Director
Kyle Emmons, Heizer Fellow
Nicolas Mundi, Career Director
Kyle Estep, Career Director
Questions, comments, or suggestions for future newsletter content?
Please contact Kellogg PEVC Club Alumni Chair, Brett Mitchell ’12 at firstname.lastname@example.org.