Research Computing >> Reference and Resources
REFERENCE AND RESOURCES
Important NU Library subscriptions:
Subject glossaries (free access):
- Northwestern University Library web portal
- NUCat, the Library's online catalog
- Einstein, a library resource to search across various scholarly databases.
- Interlibrary loans: Electronic forms to request books, journal articles, newspapers or dissertations available at other libraries.
- Recommend a book/journal for purchase
- Proxy services: Instructions to access Northwestern University networked resources from a different network
- Proxy borrowing for research assistants: Description and form letter to authorize a research assistant to borrow library items for a faculty member. The RA uses his/her Wildcard to check materials for the faculty member (mentioning the faculty's name); renewal/recall notices are sent to the faculty member. One RA can have proxy privileges for more than one faculty member, but each faculty member has to file an authorization letter.
Collections and reference:
Important Library contacts:
- Electronic journals at Northwestern University Libraries, an alphabetical list of journals in the following areas: Accounting and Taxation, Banking and Finance, Business and Management, Business Logistics, Company News and Financials, Economics, Industry Research, International Business, Marketing and Advertising, Mathematics, Organizational Behavior, Political Science, Psychology, Social Sciences, Sociology, Statistics, Trade. Note: The list is produced through a search of the Library's holdings; it includes non-academic resources and is missing some important (and available) journals.
- ArticleFirst: Includes citations and or full text of many journals, from various sources, typically in HTML format with tables or charts ommitted. (Suggested by the NU Library as a resource to be used before ordering an article via Interlibrary loan.)
- Business Source Premier: Includes the Accounting Review, Accounting Horizons, California Management Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Harvard Business Review, Management Science, Sloan Management Review, etc.
CatchWord (now "IngentaConnect"): recent issues of the Quarterly Journal of Economics and the Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, among others (issues going back to 1996).
- JSTOR, Journal Storage: Journal archives going as far back as 1872, with a five year moving wall (i.e., the latest issue is from five years ago)
- Ingenta: Journals from the American Economic Association (recent issues of American Economic Review, Journal of Economic Literature, and Journal of Economic Perspectives), Academic Press, Blackwell Publishers (including recent issues of the Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Finance, The Review of Economic Studies and Sociological Methodology), John Wiley & Sons, etc. Coverage starts in 1995 (depending on journal) to most recent. This site also includes recent issues of Games and Economic Behavior and the Journal of Economic Theory . Note: Coverage of the Review of Economic Studies starts in 2000; issues through 1997 are available in JSTOR.
- Kluwer Academic Publishers: See SpringerLink below.
- Oxford University Press journals: Includes European Sociological Review, Journal of Financial Econometrics, Review of Financial Studies, Oxford Economic Papers, etc.
- Palgrave Macmillan journals: Includes the European Management Review, the Journal of Internationl Business Research and the Journal of the Operational Research Society, among others.
Project Muse journals: includes the Brookings Papers on Economic Activity and Social Forces.
ScienceDirect Web editions: Journals from Elsevier Science, North-Holland and Pergamon. Normal subscription arrangements allow access to the issues published within the previous 12 months. The NU Library is adding access to the online backfiles (up to 1998) for a limited, but increasing, number of journals. Journals and articles included as part of Northwestern's subscription are identified on the screen by a green page icon.
University of Chicago Press Journals Division, including the American Journal of Sociology, the Journal of Consumer Research, and the Journal of Political Economy
- SpringerLink: Includes the Review of Accounting Studies, Marketing Letters, and the Negotiation Journal. Coverage starts around 1997 to most recent issue.
Wiley InterScience, full text coverage of selected journals starts in 1997. Journals included: Journal of Applied Econometrics, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Psychology and Marketing, etc.