This panel seeks to analyze innovative trends and practices within the increasingly competitive middle market, including growth plan execution (via advisory boards, talent acquisition, board composition), and a firm’s competitive positioning (operationally, industry specializations, geographic niches).
- Carl D. Thoma, Founder and Managing Partner, Thoma Bravo
- Garrick M. Rice ’99, Managing Director, Sterling Partners
- Paul Peterson, Managing Director, Wind Point Partners
- Kelly Cornelis ‘01, Partner, LaSalle Capital
This panel will discuss the theses and execution of less-traditional investment strategies that have emerged in recent years. Target firms will possess at least one of the following investment strategies: Distressed, Highly Operationally Focused, Corporate Carve-outs, or Buy and Build.
- Jeff Zanarini, Managing Director, H.I.G. Capital
- John Hatherly, Founder and Managing Partner, Wynnchurch Capital
- Mark DiSalvo, President and CEO of Semaphore
- Rahul Sawhney, Senior Managing Director, Z Capital Partners
This panel will focus on the unique benefits and challenges of leading a private equity owned business. Topics of focus include corporate governance, management incentives, the traits and habits of the most value-add private equity partners, and founder to private equity ownership transitions.
- Eric Affeldt, President and CEO, ClubCorp
-Portfolio Company of KSL Capital Partners and publicly traded on the NYSE
- Dennis Klumb, President & CEO, KS Energy Services
-Former Portfolio Company of CIVC Partners; Current Portfolio Company of Kelso & Company
- James Covert
-Former CEO of HSM Electronic Protection Services, Cambridge Protection Services, SecurityLink Midwest Corp., and Protection One (CEO for 3 different GTCR portfolio companies)
- Sloan Evans, CEO Pure Barre
-Portfolio Company of WJ Partners
This panel will help answer questions such as: How do you cultivate communities of entrepreneurship? How do you create an ecosystem like Silicon Valley? How do you finance up-and-coming regional ideas?
- S. Edward Torres, Co-Founder & Managing Director, Lilly Ventures
- Nick Rosa, Founder & CEO, Sandbox
- James J. O’Connor (’96) Managing Director, MVC Capital
- Tom Loverro (’11) Principal, RRE Ventures
With the rise of crowd funding sites such as AngelList and Kickstarter, Seed and Early Stage VC’s have more competition than ever for new deals. This panel of VC’s and crowd funding syndicates will discuss whether AngelList and others are friends or foes to the VC industry as well as the impact they are having or are expected to have on deal flow, portfolio management, follow-on funding and exits.
- Jason Heltzer, General Partner, OCA Ventures
- Alex Mittal, Co-Founder, FundersClub
Ezra Galston, Senior Associate, Chicago Ventures
- Guy Turner, Managing Partner, Hyde Park Venture Partners
An increasing number of opportunities for angel and seed funding has resulted in traditional early-stage VC firms facing a combination of rising valuations, huge pipelines, and new deal structures. This panel will explore how current VCs plan to evolve to account for these changing dynamics.
- Bret Maxwell ’82, Managing General Partner, MK Capital
- Adam Koopersmith ‘00, Partner, Pritzker Group Venture Capital
- Chris Olsen, Co-founder and Partner, Drive Capital