Women Negotiate Forum
Video: strategies for negotiating employment packages
This winter, Kellogg faculty members Leigh Thompson, Jeanne Brett, Vicki Medvec and Nicole Stephens shared their top strategies for negotiating employment packages at the Women Negotiate Forum. These experts provided the tools to easily navigate tough conversations.
Related Resources & Programs
When Told It's Non-Negotiable
Using Outside Offers
- Knowing who to negotiate with is just as important as how one does it.
Who Else Are You Talking To?
- Are outside offers leverage you can use to convince your company to give you what you want?
What other offers do you have?
- When asked who else you're talking to, you may feel pressured to reveal too much. The key is to turn the question away from your alternatives and back toward what you and your potential employer can do for each other.
Negotiating a Time Extension
- How much should you reveal about the other offers you have on the table?
Making the First Offer
- You can only ask for a time extension once, so ask for more time than you need in order to give yourself maximum flexibility.
- If you have the opportunity to make the first offer, you have the power to anchor and frame the conversation.