- While building the site map, consider search rankings for all navigation terms. A keyword search volume analysis can be easily done using Google Insights for Search
- Identify pages of new content and see if there are any pinnacle key words that can be included and optimized for
- Ensure that your copy editor has a list of the keywords needed PRIOR to writing content. It is easier to work them in while content is being created than have to retrofit a page
- Use of <h#> tags is strongly encouraged. The <h> tag will give higher precedence to titles and subtitles on the page. If your page is going into a CMS, work with your developers to ensure that page titles are wrapped in <h> tags. You can use CSS to change the presentation of the content, but the <h> tag will have an impact on SEO.
- Use ‘no index, no follow’ on site maintenance, site search and other ‘non-pages’ (form confirmation pages, etc.)
- Ensure that the title tags are populated in the following order:
Unique page Title | Kellogg School of Management | Northwestern University
- Ensure that the meta tags are relevant and unique to the content on the page
- Work with your SEO partner to review copy and provide suggestions for keyword optimization
- Try to write page copy with 250 words or more to help with keyword density
- Use W3 validators to check your HTML. A mobile app validator is useful as well, but most likely not as high priority as the W3 validator.
- Use descriptive link text. Ex: instead of ‘learn more’ use ‘learn more about a Kellogg MBA’
- When adding absolute links, always be sure to add ‘www’ in the url.
Concurrent to all development
- Develop a linking strategy outreach communications plan. If you have a list of sites (i.e. BusinessWeek, local papers) who mention your business in their content, send them a letter requesting they link back to your website. This can be time consuming, but well worth the quality inbound links it would generate. A template letter can be found in the appendix to this document.
- Add new sites to XML sitemap for optimal crawlability
- ContiNorthwesternously review keyword strategies and monitor page rankings on monthly basis
back to the top
Questions or suggestions about this page? Let us know.