an introduction to the computer technology, databases, and research-related
resources available at the Kellogg School of Management, Research
Computing and Kellogg
Information Systems (KIS) has scheduled a PhD Tech Camp for
new PhD students the week of September 17,
from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m., at the Jacobs Center, room TBA. Lunch is
provided and available at 12:45 pm in the classroom.
A very preliminary agenda is provided below:
Research Databases at Kellogg
- Data repositories at Northwestern
- Kellogg subscriptions : e.g. CRSP, Compustat, SDC, TAQ
- Research Computing Web site
Using full text resources at Northwestern
- How and where to find online journals and trade magazines
Software Tools on Windows and UNIX
- PhD Student computers
- Jacobs Center and Kresge Hall computer labs
- UNIX Research Server
- Accounts and disk space
- Statistical software: e.g. SAS, Matlab, Mathematica, Gauss, Stata
KIS – Navigating Technology at Kellogg
E-mail and internet access
- Network account and access
- Northwestern software
- Wired, wireless and off-campus network connections
Sharing files on the Windows network
- Network personal home directory
- Windows network folder/file sharing
Computer resources and support
- Kellogg Information Systems Web site
- Kellogg Laptop Program
- Jacobs Center computer lab
The Research Computing (or research resources) group assists faculty and doctoral students with their research needs. Research Computing maintains the various research resources and facilities available at Kellogg in addition to supporting their use, educating users, and troubleshooting in statistical computing. I suggest visiting the Research Computing Web site for more details on the services offered.
Another resource is a pdf document that outlines the Research Computing group, data sources available, computing platforms, statistical and research software, facilities (including the Behavioral Lab), and subject pool.
For your information, the University Library has a link to business research guides and databases available through the Library.
Kellogg Information Systems (KIS) provides on-site technical support for all Kellogg-owned computer equipment and Kellogg laptops.