On November 22nd, a group of 14 Kellogg MBA students traveled to Manhattan to attend the 2010 New York Real Estate Trek. Organized by Kyle Naye ’11, Matthew Holmes ’11, Joseph Robinson ’12 and Michael Fishbein ’12, the two-day trek led students on a tour of nine prominent real estate firms in the New York City area. The New York Trek, one of several real estate treks planned for this year, is part of Kellogg’s ongoing efforts to increase industry outreach as well as provide students with career insights and networking opportunities.
Below is a brief description of the host companies, presenters and topics discussed during the trek. Monday, November 22nd
Tuesday, November 23rd
- Hines Interests – James Lacancellera, Vice President of Development, presented an in-depth case study on a New York City mixed-use development project that Hines had evaluated.
- RREEF – George Lane ’03, Vice President, and Sarah Schwarzschild, Associate, described RREEF’s global platform as well as the various roles and functions within the firm.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch – Thomas Upson ‘10, an Associate in the Real Estate Investment Banking Group, gave an update on the public real estate markets and portrayed the day-to-day role of a real estate investment banking associate.
- Vornado Realty Trust – Dan Guglielmone ‘94, Senior Vice President of Acquisitions, discussed his transition from investment banking into real estate and provided an overview of Vornado’s business.
- Tishman Speyer – Riggs Kubiak, Director of Sustainability, described Tishman’s innovative sustainability efforts. After the presentation, Siro Gonzalez, Property Manager, led the students on a tour of the Hearst Headquarters, which Tishman Speyer redeveloped and continues to manage.
- JP Morgan Asset Management – Blake Berg ‘06, Vice President, offered candid career advice and fielded questions in an open Q&A format.
- The Blackstone Group – Senior Managing Directors Frank Cohen and Gary Sumers, both Northwestern alums, were joined by Analysts Matt Dabrowski and David Levine for a presentation on Blackstone’s Real Estate Group.
- AREA Property Partners – Jim Simmons ‘96, Partner, discussed his career progression and the key skills required for a successful real estate career.
- The Related Companies – Frank Monterisi, Vice President of Development, presented a case study on a New York City mixed-use development that he oversees on behalf of Related.