December 2012 Journal Club Meeting
Below are the links to the articles that were discussed at this quarter’s Journal Club on 12/12/12.
If you cannot access the links directly, try to set up an account (free) at: http://www.galter.northwestern.edu/ using your Northwestern alum net id information.
Turning Consumers Into Shoppers: Using High-Deductible Plans Wisely
Health Affairs Blog, October 18, 2012
- Are High Deductible Health Plans the answer to controlling health care costs?
- What are some of the pros and cons of recommending them as part of the solution?
- Do your organizations offer such plans? If so, what has been the experience? If not, why not?
Five Reasons That Many Comparative Effectiveness Studies Fail To Change Patient Care And Clinical Practice
Justin W. Timbie, D. Steven Fox, Kristin Van Busum, and Eric C. Schneider
Health Affairs, October 2012, vol. 31 no. 10, p 2168-2175
- What are the obstacles to acceptance of comparative effectiveness research findings?
- Why don’t the public and professionals pay attention?
- What can we do to overcome these barriers?
- Do you or your organization have any innovative strategies in place to solve this problem?
In anticipation of the next journal club, please send any topic or article suggestions to Julie Gertz at firstname.lastname@example.org.